The job in short
As Principal System DevOps Engineer you will work hands-on with the unit’s experts, R&D architects, and other teams to bring our Software Development Lifecycle framework to the next level. You evangelise DevOps culture and accelerate the development of modern banking-grade software!
Meet the job
Let’s imagine your day at Backbase… As a Principal System Engineer, you help the team/s to define and ensure the technical vision is known and implemented in development activities. You work across departments, foster collaboration. You also interact with teams from Pre-Sales and Customer Success to ensure technology feedback from customers and field engineers is incorporated. You provide advice based on experience and deep technical understanding of software development, practices and frameworks. You lead by example, define our way of working and our path to success. You are a vital person for all Backbase departments thanks to your functional expertise.
Our rockstar DevOps team is very diverse - an Agile crew of people of 8 nationalities and different expertise contribute to making operations even better at Backbase.
Working together with Engineers, Scrum Master, Architect and Product owner you’ll be facing great challenges which will help you to grow every single day. For example, we’re moving all of our deployments to an entirely (currently partial) Infra as a Code approach, by using tools like Terraform and Ansible.
We are also started to work with Kubernetes, so there are lots of migrations to do in the near future.
Our current tech stack is:
● CI and CD tools: Jenkins, GoCD, Travis CI, GitLab;
● Cloud providers: AWS, GCP;
● Container and orchestration: Docker, Kubernetes;
● Application and infrastructure configuration: Ansible, Terraform;
● Build automation: Maven, NPM, Gradle;
● Source control tools: Git and Bitbucket;
● Development languages and tools: Java, Python;
● Monitoring, alerting and analytics: NewRelic, Graphite;
● Application servers: Tomac, JBoss, Websphere.
Being a Principal DevOps Engineer at Backbase means:
● Improving and managing CI/CD tooling and services;
● Implementing and improving monitoring and altering stacks;
● Helping feature teams adopt and adhere to DevOps culture;
● Using containers and orchestration tools to deploy and test a microservice architecture;
● Writing scripts and automation using Python/Groovy/Java/Bash.
How about you?
● You have 3+ years of experience as a DevOps engineer and CI and CD;
● You have working knowledge of AWS (EC2, S3, ECS, EKS, ELB, IAM, RDS, VPC);
● You have working experience of Docker and containers;
● You have knowledge of Java/JVM based languages;
● You have infrastructure and application configuration-as-code automation experience;
● You are a critical thinker and you have problem-solving skills;
● Nice to have:
- Cloud certification (AWS, GCP or Azure);
- Kubernetes certification (CKA, CKAD).