You help identify and resolve production issues... before we release to our customers. Using your deep Java knowledge and Ops skillset, you push our test environments to their limits. Once you’ve pin-pointed code or system-level application concerns, you work closely with Engineers to help them improve the quality of the Backbase deliverables; ensuring they are well-architected, high-performance, highly-available, observable, resilient, operable and maintainable
- You have a solid computer science grounding - backed by significant commercial software development experience. These enable you to quickly gain familiarity with complex software products/deployments and use that knowledge to help diagnose or reproduce issues efficiently;
- Your communication skills are excellent, you’re extremely approachable and you build rapport and relationships quickly;
- Your organisational and prioritisation skills are excellent and you can quickly make sound judgement calls when assessing the urgency and criticality of issues found;
- You have an eye for quality and general desire to continually improve. You will look at all opportunities for optimisation and drive those through with the support of your team and key stakeholders. You use data to support your recommendations.
- Experience with the following is critical: Java / Spring application development; supporting CI/CD pipelines and tooling, such as Jenkins. Performance and load testing of distributed systems. Familiarity with load generating tools like Gatling, JMeter. Familiarity with Application Performance Monitoring systems like New Relic, Datadog. Profiling application bottlenecks and tuning. RDBMS databases and query optimisation.
- Experience with the following will be a considerable plus: Operating software in production; Linux administration skills; Docker and Kubernetes; Cloud environments (AWS, Azure, etc.), infrastructure as code; configuration management (e.g. Ansible, Chef, Puppet, Terraform), monitoring and logging tooling (e.g. Grafana, ELK), solid understanding of networking and TCP/IP, eventing/messaging frameworks such as JMS and Kafka, Chaos/Resilience test tools such as Chaos Tool Kit or Gremlin.
it's my job
THE JOB AT BACKBASE
By the end of month 3: You have contributed to the production-readiness test pipelines and have proactively caught some potential issues before they hit our customers. Through worked examples (as pull requests) and interactive walkthroughs, you’ve helped the Engineering team understand your concerns and potential improvements required. You’ve also begun implementing some improvements to our release process based on your early observations and tracking the effectiveness of those with appropriate KPIs.
By the end of month 6: You’ve led the resolution of a customer escalation; attempting to reproduce the issue by provisioning representative data sets and deeply profiling/analysing the underlying problem. You’ve worked with the Engineering Managers and Technical Leads to limit the risk of this happening again; coaching to improve processes and regression test coverage. You have identified a reliability engineering training course to improve your ability to test our systems and support our teams; and can’t wait to share your new knowledge in the next lunch-and-learn session.
By the end of month 12: With day-to-day activities under control, you have more scope to focus on strategic improvements and optimisations. You work closely with the Architects and Senior Engineers to drive more production-readiness testing into teams’ daily process.
You now have comprehensive monitoring, metrics and reporting systems for fine-grained observability and actionable alerting set up. You’re using these insights to prioritise future improvements when defining the roadmap with the team.
A Cloud-native, Microservices Architecture underpins our backend services and exposes our RESTful APIs. Our containerised applications are managed by Kubernetes on our Backbase-as-a-Service cloud offering, or at our customers’ private Cloud.
We are big adopters of open-source frameworks and libraries. When suitable, we choose to use and contribute to open-source applications and platforms to get to value quicker and leverage the community expertise.
On the web we’re running Angular and we deliver iOS and Android applications and components. apply now
Join one of the knowledge-sharing breakfasts to discover more or come to a guild meeting to share ideas.
a global community
With 60+ nationalities working side-by-side in 9 offices around the world, Backbase is a place where you can work on projects with people from all over the world.
pride and fun
We take pride in our achievements and we love to celebrate them. We host a variety of parties, celebrations, team outings, games nights and office drinks in all our global hubs.
We leave when our clients are happy. Not a day earlier. This committed way of working has won over a lot of our clients’ hearts. This isn’t our first rodeo.
join us to
This is the place you need to be… We want to know you and your skills.